Monday, November 28, 2011

Marriage and Conflict Theory

Marriage is the ritual that a society performs that symbolically places two (or more) people into a domestic partnership. Many cultures have marriage, though its definition varies. Like all institutions, the three sociological perspectives can help us understand marriage and its role in society. Functionalism describes the functions of marriage, which include socialization of children, economic production, and sexual control. Symbolic interactionism describes the roles that both men and women play in marriage, and how the general meaning of marriage affects the relationship. Conflict theory looks at the conflicts that arise in a marriage, especially focusing on the power struggle between men and women. This was the main focus of an article written by Joan K. Monin and Margaret S. Clark titled “Why Do Men Benefit More from Marriage Than Do Women? Thinking More Broadly About Interpersonal Processes That Occur Within and Outside of Marriage.”

The paper presents evidence for why men have more control in a marriage. The article specifically argues that “...men benefit more than women from marriage because men suffer less than women from marital conflict....” The explanation for this affect is cited as three things “...the greater social support that husbands may gain from their wives than vice versa...,” “...women's stronger push for health regulatory and prevention behaviors...”, and “...the reduction of daily hassles for men due to wives' provision of more household maintenance....” So, men generally get more benefits from marriage than women. This disparity is the cornerstone of conflict theory, which would place men in the power-class, and women in a lesser-class. These roles, however, are changing. As we discussed in class, because of the recession, the ratio of men to women in the workplace has started to shift. This is a very interesting movement, and has many implications for our society. So, if we were to see more women than men in the workplace, would it be likely that we see women benefit more from marriage than men? And if so, would this cause a power shift in the institution of marriage?


Sources:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/l77wxm5744gv0151/fulltext.pdf

9 comments:

  1. There is more to the family power struggle than income. There is also force, coercion, and emotion. Based on what I've witnessed pre-recession, women would most likely use power of emotion or coercion, while men would be more likely to use force or holding money over the heads of others in the household. More women entering the workforce due to recession will mean nothing unless the men are not working. Men still make more money than women so they will still have monetary influence. Statistically, marriages are more likely to end in divorce when women make more than men. The pride of men is fragile. If anything... higher earning women will lead to more conflict and disgruntled men. Unless the cultural norm of men being "providers" shifts.
    Just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I Got My Ex Husband Back........... I am Brenda by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my husband after two(2) years of marriage just because another woman had a spell on him and he left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address solutioncentre911@gmail.com , have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a woman had a spell on my husband and he told me that he will help me and after 2 days that i will have my husband back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my husband. Thanks to Dr. Sunny . Email him on: solutioncentre911@gmail.com or whats App dr +2348123606590

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sir, please i have a Two questions, 1. What is family and what is marrieg using functionalist perspective to discuss the challenges of these concepts Q2.do you think your society could survive without these two relate institution?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is my mail:badamu15@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sir, please i have a Two questions, 1. What is family and what is marrieg using functionalist perspective to discuss the challenges of these concepts Q2.do you think your society could survive without these two relate institution?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sir, please i have a Two questions, 1. What is family and what is marrieg using functionalist perspective to discuss the challenges of these concepts Q2.do you think your society could survive without these two relate institution?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spell to fix your broken marriage or relationship problem or after a divorce or Breakup,I was recently scam by two of them, until one faithful day i meet a man called Dr Oselumen who help me to get back to the father of my kid after we have been separated for two years,I only pay for the items required for the spell and he cast the spell for me within 24hours my ex husband called me and beg me to forgive him for everything until the end of the world he will never leave me again we are back together.if you need a real and quick love spell or you are passing through pregnancy problem Dr Oselumen is the answer, Please if any body needs. LOVE SPELL,LOTTERY,PREGNANCY SPELL, DIVORCE SPELL,STOP COURT CASE AND WIN ANY COURT PROBLEM,DEATH SPELL,BUSINESS SPELL AND MANY MORE YOU MAY NEED. Email him now for your own help. via email droselumen@gmail.com add him on whatsapp line or call +2348054265852.  

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dr.Mamudu the best spell caster online restore my broken relationship and i highly recommends Dr.Mamudu to anyone in need of help!
    My husband left me for another woman 3 months ago and ever since then my life have been filled with pains sorrow and heart break because he was my first love whom i have spent my entire life with. A friend of mine told me he saw some testimonies of a spell caster called Dr Mamudu that he can bring back lover within some few days, i laugh it out and said i am not interested but because of the love my friend had for me, she consulted the great priest on my behalf and to my greatest surprise after 2 days my husband called me for the very first time after three months that he is missing me and that he is so sorry for every thing he made me went through.He came back to me and now we are happy together. I still can’t believe it, because it highly unbelievable. Thank you Dr.Mamudu for bringing back my lover and also to my lovely friend who interceded on my behalf, for any one who might need the help of this great priest here is the email address: drmamudu47@gmail. com , you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348143284524

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks to Dr oniha who helped me brought my husand back after eight months of leaving me with three kids and following another lady in Michigan, just because of little misunderstanding we had, but thanx to timely intervention of Dr oniha who uses his spell to bring him back to me, you can also contact him for a similar problem on his email on dronihaspell@yahoo.com or whatsap him on +2347089275769

    ReplyDelete