Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Defining a Stigma

In sociology, a stigma is defined as social perceptions based on characteristics that are considered discrediting. This means that because one possesses a certain label, trait, or quality, other people automatically assume things about them. These assumptions may or may not be true, and are based on views constructed by societies. For example, I grew up on a farm, and when I mention this fact to others, it’s often assumed my family raised cows and pigs. But, in fact, my family never had animals. We farmed potatoes, corn, wheat, and a variety of others crops. I couldn’t tell you a thing about cows, pigs, or any other “farm” animal to be honest. This is a prime example of a stigma because people assumed something untrue based on a characteristic I disclosed.

I regularly ride public transit, and when I mention this to people, most look at me like I just stated I take a UFO. They then ask if I own a car or inquire if commuting publicly is a hassle. As I take transit because it’s eco-conscious and convenient, I often have to correct people’s misconceptions. Because of the socially constructed stigma where owning and operating your own car on a daily basis is considered the norm, transit has taken on almost a view of being a negative, difficult, and unnecessary means of transportation. Based on this example, it is important to note that while something may be a stigma in one society, it may not be in another. For example, countries in Europe rely heavily on public transit as their primary means of transportation. Obtaining your driver’s license is expensive and unnecessary. Obviously they don’t hold the same stigmas about public transportation as we do.

Check out this video on the stigma’s associated with AIDS in Sudan. Did you catch how many villagers were incorrect in their assumption that even associating with AIDS victims could cause transmission?



I want you to go through this exercise to help illustrate the concept of a stigma. If you saw a picture of an over-weight person, what would you assume about them? I would safely bet we would all say things like “lazy” or “unhealthy” or “unmotivated”, etc. But those aren’t always true perceptions. Not all overweight people are lazy or unhealthy. In fact, recent research has found that being a little overweight actually increases your chances of survival because it gives you an extra reserve to draw from. Still, the stigma of being overweight in our society can be quite a negative label.

No comments:

Post a Comment